On being separated from service, John served a brief stint with ABC in New York, then WFNC in Fayetteville, North Carolina, and back home to Alabama and WJLD in Bessemer. Then came the Korean Conflict. Slatton was recalled and served as the Division Ammunition Officer of the 45th Infantry Division in Korea. He was decorated with the Bronze Star. He returned to the states, worked briefly with WRBL in Columbus, GA back to Birmingham with WJLD and then in 1953 moved to Haleyville, AL buying into WJBB. In the ensuing time, Slatton has purchased all of WHBB and was a principle owner in WTRO AM & FM, Dyersburg, TN, WMSL in Decatur, AL and WLAY AM & FM in Muscle Shoals, AL. At the present time John is the principle owner of the Haleyville Broadcasting Corporation, Inc. John also obtained the franchise for development of Haleyville TV Cable system which he sold in the mid 80's.
Industry and Civic Service or Honors
· Alabama Broadcaster of the Year 1986
· President Haleyville Junior Chamber of Commerce,
· President Lions Club
· President Chamber of Commerce (Twice)
· President Northwest Alabama Mental Health Board (3 terms )
· President of 11th Armored Division Association (a national office)
· Leader in developing the Haleyville Municipal Airport
· Secretary-Treasurer of the Haleyville Airport Board
John L. Slatton was born in McMinnville, TN in 1923 and was raised in the TN Valley area, living in Florence and Sheffield, AL. John is married to the former Pat Smith of Dickson, TN. They have three children, Sharon Hayes, Terry Slatton, and Debby Slatton Aderholt all of Haleyville, AL. All three children are active in the broadcasting business together. John and Pat have 10 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren.